Total Pageviews

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Adventures of an Ambassadorial Spouse


Hi, this is Joe. I'm doing a guest spot for Fi's blog on our adventures in South Africa. A couple awesome things occurred this week. The first was the photo exhibition in Wentworth. The other was our marshalling the 2011 Comrades Marathon. The Comrades has been going on for 90 years. What makes this marathon amazing is that is it is 89 kms long (56 miles). The race goes from Durban to Pietermaritzburg. Check here for more history of the race: http://www.comrades.com/.

Anyway, we marshaled a stretch in the Westville area of Durban. It was amazing to see the first of the runners come over the hill. At first a few runners sprinted past and then the multitude streaming past in this seemingly endless wave of human beings. I over head someone say over 14,000 runners participated in the race. Our part of the race went off without a hitch; however, I had to keep telling this mother-daughter spectator unit to quit crossing the white line in their unconscious efforts to disturb the runners passing through. The mother spectator repeatedly clapped in runners' faces as they passed her. After the 50th warning they caught on and left my vicinity and resumed their disruptions further down the line.

You never know how good something will be until it moment is over. However, I knew that Fi and the Wentworth girl's photo exhibition would be successful. Fi was worried, not that I could tell because she would rather watch King of the Hill than quadruple check all of her notes, photos, Hors d'Ĺ“uvre menu, and venue information. I am happy to report that event went very well. It was nice to see the girls and their family and friends come, but also see our family and friends come and support Fi and all of her hard work. It really was hard work. If you don't believe me try organizing nine teenage ladies into conforming to your plans and project needs! The Wentworth community supports their youngsters and I feel very proud that Fi and I have the opportunity to have a little piece of it.

I must admit going into the program I thought the girls would be sidetracked by daily pressures that would place the picture taking on the back burner. Yet, all of them took some amazing shots of their home. As expected the parents were very proud of their children's efforts, none of them saw the edited photos. Even a few of the parents were in awe of the "new and unusual" places of Wentworth their children photographed; in a way the youngsters introduced all of us to a new and contemporary Wentworth. I wanted to upload some of my favorite photos from the exhibit, but internet service isn’t the best. I will place my favorites on this blog. Please forgive me girls if I don't upload all of the photos. I actually like all of them, but space and data limits me.








My Favorite Photos





No comments:

Post a Comment